About Me

My photo
I am a Solitary Pagan mother of one. I started my path as a teen and have continued to learn and grow as I age. Now in my early thirties I finally start to feel as if I am finding myself. I am a modest, head covering (veiling) Pagan. Who recently just started this practices. I feel that I have finally really started to listen and hear the Gods and Goddesses call. Please remember there is no right path, just the path that is right for you. )0( Blessings

Friday, August 23, 2013

Pagan Children and back to school



It is that time of year again, when children head off to school. Depending on where you are from they may have all ready started. School can be an exciting time at the same time a feeling of dread may fill your child. A new teacher, maybe some new class mates, maybe worrying about a bully. Pagan children can also face some discrimination for their Religion not being understood. So misunderstandings can happen. I think that it is a good idea to role play some of these situations that may come up with your child, so they have an idea on what to say.
    An example in my life was my daughter a few years ago was in a conversation with some other children who were talking about God, my daughter at the time was in grade 2 said don't forget about the Goddess. Now I will admit I had not prepared my daughter at that point on what to say because it never occurred to me that children this age would have this conversation. My daughters remark caused the other children to tell her that I as her mom was going to hell, and going to be eaten alive. She came home in tears as you can well imagine. She also had nightmares for a while. So after that we talked about what to do in certain situations, and how to defend herself verbally from a verbal attack.
One of them went something like this.
person/child : There is only one God and anyone who believes anything else is going straight to hell
daughter: Everyone is entitled to there beliefs. (walk away)

My daughter how ever the defender of innocent people has also said well there are loads of other religions and that is okay, or I don't believe in a place called hell so I can't go there.

There may come a point where if them being Pagan becomes a big issue that you are going to have to step in, by going to the school to address this issue. The same thing if your child wears a Pagan symbol to school and is told to take it off. That requires swift action to the school. Now if you have to go to the school go in with a plan, and try to be calm and polite going in like a crazy person will not get you any where. Walk in with a copy of your Bill of Rights. Canadian Bill of Rights. Discus with the teacher or Principal if you are comfortable with it about addressing your child's class, or suggest they have a day were they learn about different religions.
  As your children get older they will start to learn how to handle situation's about Religion and when saying nothing is the best choice. As they grow they are going to need you to lead them in this, by example and by conversations.

Before your child leaves in the morning a good ritual is say a prayer for protection and understanding. With your child (depending on the age of course older children can learn to do this on there own) have them envision a white light of protection. Have them focus on this light growing and surrounding them, have them ask for the Gods and Goddess's protection through out the day. I tell my child to have a blessed day before I leave from dropping her off. With practice your child can learn to envision the white light of protection again later in the day if they feel they need it.
    School is hard enough, children will learn lessons, make mistakes, and have rough days. If you keep an open dialogue going with them. They will tell you about the day they had. When bad days happen (unless it is a bullying issue, or something more serious) just be an ear for them, comfort them, and above all make sure that home is their soft place to fall.

Have a Blessed Day
)0(

No comments:

Post a Comment