About Me

My photo
I am a Solitary Pagan mother of one. I started my path as a teen and have continued to learn and grow as I age. Now in my early thirties I finally start to feel as if I am finding myself. I am a modest, head covering (veiling) Pagan. Who recently just started this practices. I feel that I have finally really started to listen and hear the Gods and Goddesses call. Please remember there is no right path, just the path that is right for you. )0( Blessings

Monday, August 26, 2013

Coming out of the "Broom Closet"




Are you still in the broom closet? Or maybe you have come out to a few friends and family, maybe you are a "public" Pagan. Some people feel comfortable talking about their religion or spirituality with others for some it is more of a private matter. Some Pagan's find a coven and others for several reasons may choose to practice Solitary. I am solitary one of the reasons being no coven's in my area, the other is that my practice is very personal to me. Being Eclectic it would be hard to find a coven because there is no particular path I follow.

There are several ways you can show you are Pagan. Maybe you wear a small pentacle/pentagram, or a ring. Maybe you have a tattoo or two. I have a pentacle/pentagram necklace, have a small ring, plus tattoos. I have four tattoo's in total. Two are Pagan related. A chest piece of the triple moon, and and a wrist tattoo of the triquetra Wikki Triquetra Symbol and meaning.


     I can honestly say no one other then friends and family have asked me about the meanings of jewelry I am wearing. My chest tattoo has brought up a couple of conversations but mainly with tattoo enthusiasts. (Having become more modest my chest tattoo is covered almost all the time) Sometimes other Pagan's or Wiccan's will recognize the symbols and we strike up a conversation and a kin ship seems to develop. Maybe I would run into more questions if I went out in public more, but my severe anxiety keeps me a little more house bound then others.  
  
   If you do wear something you should be prepared for questions, sometimes even stares. Have something in mind to say, and decided what you feel comfortable explaining or saying. Sometimes a simple it has religious meaning will do the trick. If some one starts to harass you try not to get angry, say what you need to say calmly and walk away. Even though Paganism is a relativity old religion through out history we have been painted with a bad light and misconceptions run wild. 
  
   I have heard we are devil worshipers, that we sacrifice animals, that people should be afraid of us because we will use so called "black magic" on them. Witches, and Pagan's use to get blamed for crop failures, and we have been persecuted through out time. We should never forget the burning times. It was reasons such as these that most Pagans and Witches went underground, and became secret.

  Now as time goes on and laws have come in place in some countries protecting religious beliefs we are slowly starting to come out of the wood work. So it is up to us as a community to stand by each other and dispel misconceptions about our religion.   


Links 
About.com Were the Burning Times as Bad as They Sound 
Real Pagan Real World Pagan Network : How to come out of the Broom Closet 
About.com How to come out of the broom closet 

 Some thoughts if you do decide to come out of the broom closet. 
  1. Be prepared with enough knowledge about Paganism to answer questions.
  2. Be prepared for some bizarre questions
  3. The other person might not take it well, be prepared for this possible reaction.
  4. Have websites or books you can give the other person to tell the TRUTH about Paganism 
  5. If the other person does not take it well right away, give them time they may come around.
Some final thoughts for today 

Religion means something different to everyone, and the choice to discuss should be yours. When deciding to come out of the broom closet think safety in every situation. For example if you live in a community where people are harassed because of beliefs, color, or sexuality it is probable a safe bet to keep your beliefs to yourself. Instead find facebook groups, blogs or online forums that you can speak freely in. There are a lot of "us" online.

Have a Blessed day )0(

No comments:

Post a Comment