About Me

My photo
I am a Solitary Pagan mother of one. I started my path as a teen and have continued to learn and grow as I age. Now in my early thirties I finally start to feel as if I am finding myself. I am a modest, head covering (veiling) Pagan. Who recently just started this practices. I feel that I have finally really started to listen and hear the Gods and Goddesses call. Please remember there is no right path, just the path that is right for you. )0( Blessings

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dressing modestly my choice!

How did I come to dress modestly? I think to some degree I always have, but like others I wore tank tops, and v-neck shirts, my skirts have always been longer knee or below I prefer ankle length. So when did this become a everyday deliberate choice that I think about when dressing in the morning? Gradually over time I guess until I got to this point. I don't do it for any other reason then it is what I am comfortable in. 

I feel like society has gone from one extreme to another. Back when women had to dress very modestly, then gradually we seem to have swung the pendulum so far in the other direction that there seems to be a growing number of women going back to modest dressing. Women judge them selves so harsh. My breast are not big enough compared to ...... I will never be skinny enough to look like...... Yes I am just as guilty of this as most women! . I personally especially since I have a daughter have started to really wonder why everything has to be so hyper sexualized. That as women and little girls we seem to be bombarded that it is more important what our weight is, what we wear then who we are. I think that this is a sad statement about what society has become and how objectified women's bodies have become. Take facebook taking down pictures of breastfeeding mothers because they were deemed inappropriate or sexual. That is why women have breasts to feed our children, yet lots of people find this natural act disgusting and unnatural.

   There is also the fact that people perceive Pagan's in a certain light and seem to expect that we dress in a certain way, or that we are always sky clad. Like the diversity of paths that can be followed so are the styles and personality of Pagan's. Some people have no problem with sky clad, or short shorts, and skirts, some like to dress all in black, some like to dress modest and some you would never know they were Pagan they look like "everyday people" It is all what ever you are comfortable with.
   For this post I am really only going to talk about me. Everyone needs to discover who they are, and what they feel good in. Yes their are modestly dressed Pagans and groups for them. Dressing modestly means something different to everyone, there are some general rules that most people who dress modestly follow. Wikihow's 4 ways to dress modestly.

So how do I dress modestly my skirts all fall at knee length or longer and even for the knee length ones I some times wear leggings under them. I also have a skirt with a slit up the side leggings are perfect for these to. I am not a huge fan of pantyhose but love tights especially in the winter. Layer, layer, layer. Layering is in for most styles anyways so it is perfect for those that want to dress modest.  I have shirts that I love but the neck line might scoop to deep, or it is like a tank top. So you can layer different items and still keep your favorite clothing. You don't have to loose your style for the sake of modesty. I have a pair of Doc Martin high boots that I love, I saved up for them. Changed my black laces for para-cord laces that are bright pink and purple. With a skirt (with or without leggings) some layering on top and I can rock an outfit. Modestly dressing doesn't have to be all black, brown or white (unless that is the look you are going for) It can have style and pzazz. Rock out some jewelry, if you head cover rock out different styles of coverings and colors. Or if you don't there are lots of different options to do with your hair.

Have fun and play around, not matter what your size (I am a plus size girl) and when looking for clothing just  look around a little more. Check out  stores and second hand stores, stuff is out there you just have to find it. If you find a shirt that you love but are worried about the neck line think of how you can layer it, and get it. 




Some things I have that I think are awesome for helping to dress modestly  




My sister introduced these to me they are called Cami-flage they attach to your bra and are great because you can adjust them to any height you like!!! They come in virtually any color. I got a pack of 6 for about 6.95


Wearing a Cami-flage high and covering my chest tattoo, plus a purple scoop neck tunic with one of my favorite shirts.
 


Scoop neck tunic extra long. These shirts are great because you can wear shorter shirts not have to worry about you belly showing when you lift your arms and the layering look is great.

Cotton leggings that can be wore under shorter skirts, for warmth in the winter or under anything your heart desires. 


Knit cover ups or shrugs are great, I have short sleeve and long and in different colors. Covering your shoulders if you feel the need to.
A poncho this one has silver flicks all the way through it that can be used to fancy up an outfit.



Some days I also want to go for the plain look and may just wear black, blue and tone things down a lot. When I am at home sure I will wear tank tops. But being modest doesn't have to mean having no style. Figure out what your style is, maybe it is modest or maybe not, maybe you rock heels, or wear flats, maybe you are more of a chameleon and your style is always changing.  Just remember no matter the size of your waist, your height, color, or where you are from be yourself, because there is nothing more beautiful in a women then that!

Have a blessed day!!!
)0(

No comments:

Post a Comment