About Me

My photo
I am a Solitary Pagan mother of one. I started my path as a teen and have continued to learn and grow as I age. Now in my early thirties I finally start to feel as if I am finding myself. I am a modest, head covering (veiling) Pagan. Who recently just started this practices. I feel that I have finally really started to listen and hear the Gods and Goddesses call. Please remember there is no right path, just the path that is right for you. )0( Blessings

Sunday, September 8, 2013

What having a Special needs child means

I wrote this in November 2012 and thought I would share it here. I feel very strongly about this subject as it hits very close to home, as I have a child with a disability that is non-visible.

Whether your child has a visible disability or one that is not visible lots of parents go through similar feelings. You have to let go of the dream you had for your child, it involves a little bit or mourning and grief. Part of that being you know how much more difficult your child's life is going to be. It means resetting your priorities. It means that your child may not make all the milestones on time. It means Doctor Appointments, filling out paper work, school meeting, managing your child's medication, homework and trying to teach them social skills.  It means you don't stop fighting for your child ever. Every school year it means many appointments to make sure the school understand what your child's changing needs are. Some times it means hospitalizations. It means tears coming home from school because she was made fun of. It means stress and dealing with your child's difficulties 24/7. It means crying your self to sleep some nights.Feeling like you are not good enough as a mother or that maybe you did something to cause it.  It means feeling like you are at your breaking point more often then other parents. It means realizing that your expectations of what your house should look like and what you thought changes. It is some of the biggest hurts, at the same time it means some of the greatest joys.
  You cheer more loudly when your child figures something out. You celebrate the days that went more smoothly. You don't focus on the grades on the report card but about all the good things the teacher has to say, and Celebrate even a C. Because you know your child did there best. You laugh more loudly with your child when things are funny. You find what truly interest your child and you develop a love for it because you watch your child absorb ever last thing about that topic. You try not to think to far into the future. You truly have the opportunity to start every day like a brand new one and try to leave the challenges of the day before behind. It means discovering what is truly important and sending every thing else to the way side. You learn who your true friends are and who the toxic ones are. It means discovering your are stronger then you ever thought you could be.



No comments:

Post a Comment